(This is a now page, and if you have your own site, you should make one, too.)
It is Spring/Summer 2017, and I am on on the northside of a tiny island in Greece (almost Turkey) called: Lesbos. It is a quiet and remote location, that honestly can’t hold a solid Skype signal for more than 20 minutes. Which is good, because my plan is to do a lot of writing over the next two months.
In honesty, I spend most of my time running my editorial agency, Craft Your Content, where my team and I write and edit online content and manuscripts for authors and entrepreneurial writers. If you are looking to work with me, that is where you want to go. I like to say I help people write shit that matters, because that is the difference I want to make in the world. Better words.
Though that’s my current primary focus, I do have other plans and projects in the works:
- I’d like to write more here, on my column for Forbes, pitching pieces to major publications, and other places. For this reason, and many others, I promoted Gina Edwards (a long-time copy editor at CYC) to be our new Managing Editor – she already does a better job than me, even though she is additionally tasked with the difficult feat of managing Elisa. If you work with CYC, you’ll work with her, and you will be better for it.
- I am currently working on two courses in Q2 2017 – one on learning writing skills and habits from master writers, and a second secret course.
- I am pitching…a lot. I’d like to try for 100 pitches (and all subsequent articles then to be written) before the end of summer. If you have a website or publication you think my writing would be a good fit for, let me know!
- I’m also working on another creative writing project, but you won’t hear anything about it until late 2017. If you can figure out the pen name.
- I want to write a nonfiction book on criticism, bullying, and perception bubbles in 2017, and am finalizing the book proposal, as I would prefer to publish traditionally (any literary agents who are interested in learning more, I’d love to chat)
- Instead of reading books to hit some arbitrary numeric goal in 2017, I’m choosing to follow Book Riot’s 2017 Read Harder Challenge, with a focus on reading books that expose me to ideas and viewpoints I would not naturally gravitate towards. I’m big on shrinking my personal echo chambers.
- I need to be a better yogi. Currently I’m doing well if I can knock out a dozensun salutations in the morning.
- I do not accept many speaking requests and event invitations. Being “on” in such a public and personal way is extremely exhausting for me, and I prefer to channel that energy into my craft and business.
- I do not drink alcoholic beverages as often as I used to. This is partly a professional choice and partly a personal choice. I still enjoy a quality microbrew with friends, glass of red wine at dinner, or tumbler of bourbon by the fire. But in general, you won’t find me out at the bar as much as you used to