What I’m Doing Now
(This is a now page, and if you have your own site, you should make one, too.)
This winter of 2017, I am south of the border in the mountains of Oaxaca City, Mexico. I invest my day-to-day time in wandering the centro, eating whatever the wonderful Jodi Ettenberg tells me to, staring at the gorgeous architecture, and attempting daily conversation in my barely functional understanding of Spanish.
In honesty, I spend most of my time running my editorial agency, Craft Your Content, where my team and I edit online content and manuscripts for authors and entrepreneurs. I like to say I help people write shit that matters, because that is the difference I want to make in the world. Better words.
Though that’s my current primary focus, I do have other plans and projects in the works:
- I want to write a nonfiction book on criticism, bullying, and perception bubbles in 2017, and am finalizing the book proposal during my time in Mexico, as I would prefer to publish traditionally (any literary agents who are interested in learning more, I’d love to chat)
- I’d like to write more here, on my column for Forbes, pitching pieces to major publications, and other places. In January 2017 I promoted Gina Edwards (a long-time copy editor at CYC) to be our new Managing Editor – she already does a better job than me, even though she is additionally tasked with the difficult feat of managing Elisa.
- I have committed to getting back into podcasting, and am recording episodes for a new show on working with managing editors and content managers with Jess Ostroff from Don’t Panic Management. It’s called The Managing Editor Show and you can check it out here.
- I did not hit my goals for reading last year (ended at about 55 books out of 75 projected) which makes me sad. I attribute this mostly to losing my afternoon reading time to work for the agency and nightly reading time to passing out as soon as I pull the covers over myself.
- Instead of reading books to hit some arbitrary numeric goal, I’m choosing to follow Book Riot’s 2017 Read Harder Challenge, with a focus on reading books that expose me to ideas and viewpoints I would not naturally gravitate towards. I’m big on diminishing my personal echo chambers.
- I need to be a better yogi. Currently I’m doing well if I can knock out a couple sun salutations in the morning.
- I do not drink alcoholic beverages as often as I used to. This is partly a professional choice and partly a personal choice. I still enjoy a quality microbrew with friends, glass of red wine at dinner, or tumbler of bourbon by the fire. But in general, you won’t find me out at the bar as much as you used to
With all these things I’m working on for myself and my business, I am saying no to new projects and requests more. For that reason I’m not doing interviews or podcasts through Summer of 2017. Thanks for understanding.